Whether you are planning on packing a few things to place in the attic or you want to send some boxes to your storage unit to clear your house of clutter and to pack what you have in a neat and tidy way, you need to know some things beforehand. In order to prevent damage and find your stored things easily, make use of these packing, storing, and moving tips.
When packing, it is important that you keep all your things in a safe and secure place. Use the following tips in order to protect your beloved items.
- Wrap your mattress and cloth furniture in cotton sheets completely, from the top to bottom as these sheets help in protecting your furniture during storing and moving. Also, it is advised that you use plastic bags only for items that you do not want to keep dry as they can sometimes keep in moisture.
- When packing any item that has a slightly odd shape, you can simply fill the entire box up to the top, and the gaps can be filled afterward using bubble wrap or even normal newspaper balls.
- When packing, make sure that you follow the general rule, which is; use small boxes for heavy items and large boxes for lightweight things.
- When packing heavy weight items, avoid skimping out. The reason behind this is that old boxes can break open easily when they are used for things that are heavy. For this reason, you must grab the best boxes for the heavy and most fragile items that you have.
- When it comes to packing dishes, cups, plates, and other china items, make sure that you individually wrap them. Also, stack them inside the box according to their size since this stacking ensures that they do not crack or chip during the move.
- The items that get broken easily and most frequently are mirrors and picture frames, so make sure they are packed properly. In order to pack them, create an “X” across the glass using tape, and then wrap the entire thing with bubble wrap. Also, buy a fitted cardboard box in order to protect the edges of the mirror.
- Make sure that everything that you need to pack is washed properly and then dried. These things include sheets, clothes, curtains, blankets, and even your furniture.
- When disassembling your furniture, get a plastic bag to store all the bolts and nuts inside. Make sure you label the bags as to what the nuts and bolts belong to and secure it to the furniture with a rope or a tape.
Once you are done with packing, you will have to move, but before you get on with moving, you will need to get a storage unit. Mentioned below are some tips you must follow for your storage unit; getting the right storage unit will make the entire process easier for you.
- Make sure that you choose the right size of the storage unit for your items and belongings; the unit should not be too small nor too large.
- If you plan on storing your things for a long time period (such as a few months), then you must go for a unit that is temperature-controlled. This unit keeps the temperature inside at a safe range and protects your things. It also keeps your belongings away from extreme temperature.
- You must get a storage unit that is slightly bigger than the items you want to store. This way, you will have some room and space to let air move around. It will also be easier for you to move around.
- Make sure that you store the items you use the least at the back of the unit, and the ones you will frequently need in the front. Also, place your expensive items in the back, including the spare TV and other technology products.
- If you cannot get a temperature-controlled unit, then you can always buy a dehumidifier as it helps in keeping moisture away. This also decreases the chances of mildew, mold, and dust.
Once you are done with packing, moving is the next stage to cover. However, many times, during moving, you can break and lose your precious items. Follow these tips to move your belongings in the right and professionally-advised way.
- The first and foremost thing to do before moving is to label all your boxes in detail. Paste a short list of whatever is in the box.
- Keep the boxes and items together as close as possible when stacking them or moving them in the truck. This will help in keeping the boxes together, even in the storage unit.
- Make sure that during moving, you place the heaviest items first. The heavy boxes should be closest to the truck’s cab.
- Until and unless the boxes are packed snugly, do not stack them on a shiny and slick surface such as the dresser’s top.
- Fragile and breakable items should also go on top and never be under any other box.
- Your heavy furniture must be secured properly to the walls of the truck using rope or/and bungee cord.
- Do not stack the boxes or any other item higher than your head’s height.
- Make sure that you mark the boxes carrying fragile stuff with the word “FRAGILE” in capital letters. (Capital letters are usually attention-grabbing and tend to make it easy to read).
- If you have a spring mattress, then do not stack your things on the top of the mattress as they can break it and even leave behind permanent damage.
Packing, moving, and storing are a very simple process and are nothing to be scared of. However, this process requires fast skills and a quick mind since you need to follow certain tips that will make it easy for you in the future. With the above-mentioned tips, you can move, pack, and store easily without creating a fuss for yourself later on.