Tipping is commonplace in the United States. A tip shows gratitude for those who have provided or exceeded exceptional customer service in assisting us.
In 2022, experts recommend leaving between 15% and 20% of the total amount in gratuity. Depending on the degree of service given, it might be more or less than that. However, in the moving sector, do similar standards apply?
If you're unsure how much to tip movers, keep reading.
Do I Have to Tip Movers?
Although movers do not usually expect a tip, they will be pleased if one is given. You may feel that tipping movers is extravagant after paying the moving company a hefty fee. But, few service employees work as hard as a mover ensuring your property arrives safely at its destination.
A tip is a way to show your gratitude for the extra effort they make. It's important to note that the performance of your movers' may be far more crucial than those in other industries you tip without a second thought.
How Much Should I Tip Movers?
This is the tricky part. Knowing and remembering how much to tip each person who serves you is complex. It's especially challenging when it comes to a moving crew. Do you give each of them their own tip, or do you pool your money and give it to the team lead?
It's usually a good idea to tip each mover individually. This guarantees that no one forgets to share the money with the team, and each mover receives what you intended.
What factors should you consider when deciding how much to tip professional movers?
- Evaluate the Services Provided – If your movers provided exceptional service and exceeded your expectations, you can show your appreciation by increasing their tip amount.
- Access the Moving Difficulty – Moves that require many flights of stairs or heavy lifting are typically more challenging for the moving team. You should adjust the final gratuity depending on the degree of difficulty involved.
- Don't Use a Percentage of the Total Moving Cost – For example, if you're tipping at a restaurant, you'd generally calculate the total gratuity by tipping a percentage of the total bill. However, this isn't always the most effective method for determining how much to tip movers. Consider the overall time, difficulty, and other factors that the movers confront throughout the day. As a general rule of thumb, you should tip your movers $4-5 for each hour they helped you.
Most moving situations follow an identical tipping procedure. This holds true for a day move, a local move, and long distance moves.
How Big of a Tip for Local Movers?
If you're pleased with the job your movers have done, tip each mover at approximately $40 per day. If packing and moving your belongings only took a few hours, paying each mover $4 per hour is perfect.
How Much for Long Distance Movers?
Figuring out tips for long-distance moves can be intimidating. You might have to deal with multiple crews over a few days. What do you do in this situation? Go back to the proper tipping procedures; tip $4-$5 per hour, per mover, or a $40 lump sum per day.
How Much to Tip Movers That Are Bad?
What should you do if you have a terrible moving experience and feel your mover was unprofessional? What about movers who underdeliver on service?
If you considered all of the criteria above and are dissatisfied, you should adjust the amount you tip to reflect how satisfied you were with the service. Short of a disastrous experience, still provide a tip, albeit a smaller one than if the service was adequate.
When Should You Tip Movers?
Typically, tips are given after the move has been completed. However, it is perfectly fine to provide tips to the moving team while working. This will let them know that their current efforts are recognized.
Additional Ways to Show Appreciation to Your Movers
After a difficult day of packing and moving all of your heavy furniture and fragile items, providing cash tips is a great option to show your appreciation. Here are some options for showing extra gratitude in addition to money if that's what you want to do:
- Make sure your moving crew has access to cold, delicious drinks. Offering your movers a cool, refreshing drink (or hot beverages depending on the season) will let them know you appreciate them and will make their day considerably better.
- Provide food for your movers. If you're feeling particularly thankful, offering the moving team a meal would make their day.
- After your relocation is complete, write your moving crew a thank you note. Notes of genuine appreciation are meaningful and something the movers won't forget.
- Leave a positive review online using their names - their companies will notice.
While the above may be seen as going above and beyond, if your moving service team did a great job, don't be afraid to show your appreciation; you might just make their week!